2. Decadent Chocolate Espresso Pie
Instant espresso powder amps up both the filling and the whipped cream in this buzzy delight.
1½ c. milk
⅓ c. cornstarch
¾ c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 bar semisweet chocolate
1 bar bittersweet chocolate
4 oz. milk chocolate
1 recipe baked Perfect Piecrust
Espresso Whipped Cream
1½ c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. heaving whipping cream
2 tsp. instant espresso powder
6 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Whisk together 1 cup milk and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
- In a 3 1/2-quart saucepan combine sugar, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Cook over low-heat, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in espresso powder and cornstarch mixture. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk about 1/2 cup cornstarch mixture into egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Whisk this back into espresso mixture in saucepan and cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes, or until mixture is thickened further.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and chopped chocolate. Transfer to one prebaked and cooled Perfect Piecrust. Place plastic wrap directly onto filling (to prevent film from forming). Let stand 1 hour; then refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Microwave 2 teaspoons cream in a small microwave-safe bowl for 10 seconds. Stir in espresso powder. Place remaining cream in a chilled mixing bowl. Beat at medium-high speed until soft peaks from. Add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until medium firm peaks form. Add espresso mixture, beating just until incorporated. Spread over chilled pie and top with grated chocolate.